Friday, August 27, 2010
Here are a few pictures I took from the trip.
Thursday, June 24, 2010
- Make sure you're hammer is parallel to your block when it hits the wire. Oh Em Geee..... That was really frustrating to learn.
- Hold the hammer at the end of the handle and raise your entire arm up and down. Do not swing your forearm, or else the hammer will hit at an angle and leave a mark on the wire.
- If you want to flatten the wire, use materials that are harder than it, such as steel. If you just want to harden, use softer materials such as wood.
- The wire will want to straighten when you flatten it, so if you're flattening out a spiral, provide counter pressure on the outside of the loop so it keeps its curved shape
- When making earrings, you can tape the wires together and form them at the same time to make sure each earring is identical. Then hammer them out.
- Photographing earrings is really, really hard. I'm still working on this
- Hammering late at night is not good for neighbor relations. Oops.
Monday, June 21, 2010
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Saturday, June 12, 2010
Here's the link to my Etsy shop main page: http://www.etsy.com/shop/fantasian
Monday, May 10, 2010
(full product here) (full product here)
Saturday, April 10, 2010
Full New York Times article is here: Inventors Wanted. Cool Toys Provided.
Friday, April 9, 2010
Thursday, April 8, 2010
Friday, March 19, 2010
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Saturday, February 13, 2010
Monday, February 8, 2010
Friday, February 5, 2010
After many a night of waking up to the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) noise of "squeeeeeeek" from the wheel in Victoria's cage, I decided to take matters into my own hands. Vic uses the same type of wheel as Lizzie did (the Wodent Wheel, which is supposed to be one of the more quiet wheels out there and super safe for little hammy feet), but she runs faster for longer periods of time and I guess the cheap bearings on the wheel just couldn't take it. Temporary relief could be had by liberally applying vegetable oil to the axle, but that would often only last a few days at best. So finally, after a couple weeks of seeking relief at my boyfriend's place (much to the detriment of the hammy, who as a result wasn't let out as much to play), it was time to make some fixes.The main causes for the squeaking were probably the following: 1) metal rubbing on metal and 2) loose tolerances in overall wheel design. So what is a MechE to do? I decided to replace the crappy bronze bearings with new PTFE (better known by its brand name, Teflon) ones. I figured going with a plastic would help reduce the squeaking and PTFE is super low in friction, which should hopefully reduce the amount of oil I'll need to put on and compensate for the increase surface contact with the shaft. These were flanged to replace the old plastic washers and much longer in length to get better coverage on the wheel shaft to compensate for the bad tolerancing. A hand drill, a hammer and a screwdriver later and it was good to go! Victoria seems to like her modified wheel and was running happily in it last night. I didn't even wake up once! Yay! :-D
Thursday, February 4, 2010
Most of the facts I got off of FishBase. You can check out the poster and other products here.
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Friday, January 29, 2010
My original idea was to put her in front of a Santa Fe landmark or some pueblo buildings, but after doing a bunch of searching all I could find were pictures of streets and buildings. Places like the San Miguel Mission were nice, but she would have looked super tiny next to them, not to mention she's the same color as the buildings to boot. Annette had a great idea of putting her with some Indian pottery instead though, so a few photo shoots later and some Google Image searching and voila! Annette put up the picture on the Hamster Across America blog.
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Over the Martin Luther King 3-day weekend I put together a new loft addition for Victoria's cage. Her previous owner had a bunch of tubes she liked to climb in, but the cage I had for her didn't have anywhere to put them, so I decided to make my own custom cage roof to attach them. I dimensioned out the roof using Adobe Illustrator and cut them out on a laser cutter over at Techshop. The whole thing is held together with some acrylic glue and epoxy. The tubes came with interchangeable locking rings so I can attach different things up on top to keep her from getting bored. Right now I have a loop that I like to call "The Observatory" set up. It kind of reminds me of the walkway suspended over the Grand Canyon. :)
Also I put together a little shelf for her to hide under and climb on to replace a similar wooden toy her previous owner had for her but was really chewed up and covered in splinters. You can see the shelf and her new digs in the pictures below.